"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" ~ Seneca

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Why yes, I did run a half-marathon

Our official race MEC Calgary race #4 was a half-marathon to be run around the Glenmore Reservoir. The Calgary flood of 2013 took care of that, and the race is rescheduled for July 20th with a new route still to be determined. 
But my training buddy and I didn't let that deter us. We ran the Hawkwood Half Marathon. 
We met at our friend/support crew's house at 8:45 am. The sun was shining and it was getting warm, fast. 
The race/run was a LOT harder than I expected. I think this was due to many factors but the heat probably played the biggest part. Most of our training runs were done at 10-15C and our bodies weren't used to the 20C+ heat. Luckily our good friend Kris took excellent are of us, providing water/Gatorade stops. We stopped and tested multiple times so it took us 2:55:44 to finish.  We did suffer some heat exhaustion after the race, puking & what not, but I think it was a mental hurdle well earned to know I can do the distance. 
Good thing too as I'll run another half on July 20 and have signed up to do the Melissa's road race in Banff, 22K, at the end of September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment